Coming to KTH
Welcome to the Division of History of Science, Technology and Environment at KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, Sweden! Browse through accommodation, transportation, and foodstuffs information just in case it helps you plan your stay or better enjoy your time with us during our events.
If you are staying at Ariston Hotel, the fastest way to arrive for our first event is to take bus 212 from Kvarnen or Hersbyholm towards Ropsten. Get off at Ropsten and transfer to bus 55. Get off at Tennisstadion and walk to the DOCH. Alternatively, you can also transfer from bus 212 to the T-Bana at Ropsten. Get off at Östermalmstorg, transfer to T-Bana 14 towards Mörby Centrum, and get off at Tekniska Högskolan. See directions for the quickest option below:
Residents of Stockholm rely on a subway system called the tunnelbana, an extensive network of buses, and some ferries. Fares must be bought in advance and are only available at tunnelbana stations or online. Visit Storstockholms Lokaltrafik for more information about fares and prices. Unfortunately, we cannot reimburse any of your public transportation expenses.
Getting from Arlanda Airport to Stockholm
You can get from Arlanda airport to Stockholm city in a variety of ways. We will not reimburse expenses to and from the airport for any participants.
- Taxi: Taxi cabs will take you from Arlanda to anywhere within Stockholm city for a fixed price. These prices are found on the rear side windows of each taxi. Make sure to agree on price before taking a taxi. If you travel elsewhere, taxi fares are not fixed and will be charged accordingly by the taxi company.
- Arlanda Express: There is a high speed train from the airport to the city called Arlanda Express. Tickets are available at the airport or can be booked in advance. If you travel in a group, fares can be discounted. However, if you get on the train without having booked or purchased a ticket in advance, the fare costs double. It will take you to the city terminal station.
- Flygbussarna: The bus arrives and leaves from all terminals every 15 min. You can buy tickets in advance or in person. It will take you to the city terminal station.
If you are staying at Ariston Hotel, we recommend going to the city centre and then taking public transportation (bus or T-bana) to the hotel. From Stockholm’s central station, take Röda Linje 13 to Ropsten and then transfer to bus 212, getting off at Hersbyholm or Kvarnen.
Fika (coffee break with snack) and meals mentioned in the schedule are provided to the students. Students will need to take care of the rest of their meals and food.
Cafés and restaurants on KTH Campus
Eateries are available on the KTH campus such as:
- Brazilia, Brinellvägen 64B regional cuisine
- Iko Food Palace, Drottning Kristinas väg 13: regional cuisine
- Nymble, Drottning Kristinas väg 15, salads, burgers, sandwiches, soups and a vegan option 75 – 100 SEK
- Open Café, Valhallavägen 79: coffee, baked goods, sandwiches, cakes and warm meals options
- Restaurang Q, Osquldas väg 4: offers food in three categories: Swedish flavors, World food, and Healthy
- Stories, Osquars Backe 31 (inside the KTH main library building): pastries, smoothies, coffee, sandwiches, salads, coffee, and soups
- Syster O Bror, Drottning Kristinas väg 24, Swedish cuisine offering set lunches and entrées.
- THS Café, Drottning Kristinas väg 15, coffee, pastries, salads and small meals
Many other restaurants and street vendors are located nearby. During semesters, food trucks can often be found during the lunch hour on Drottning Kristinas väg in front of the student union.
Supermarkets and corner-shops
Stockholm has a variety of supermarkets and corner shops. Large supermarkets such as ICA, COOP, Willy’s, and Lidl can be found in the city. Corner shops, markets (Saluhalls) and specialized regional foods can also be found in select places throughout the city. Hotorget is one place that features many of the options Stockholm has to offer in its nearby vicinity, providing an open air market, a diverse saluhall, and a number of Asian markets. Most alcohol in Sweden must be purchased from System Bolaget.
If you are looking for accommodation during the school, here are some possible options:
- Best Hostel City (Luntmakargatan 14, 11137 Stockholm City)
- City Backpackers (Upplandsgatan 2, 11123 Stockholm City)
- City Hostel (Fleminggatan 19, Stockholm Kungsholmen)
- City Lodge (Klara Norra kyrkogata 15, 111 22 Stockholm City)
- First Hotel STF Fridhemsplan (St Eriksgatan 20, 11239 Stockholm Kungsholmen)
- Hostel Bed and Breakfast (Rehnsgatan 21, 113 57 Stockholm City)
- Interhostel (Kammakargatan 46, 11160 Stockholm City)
- Loginn Hotel (Ship at Kajplats 16, Södermälarstrand, 11825 Stockholm Södermalm)
- Långholmen Hotel & Hostel (former prison on the island of Långholmen, Långholmsmuren 20, 11733 Sthlm)
- Motel L (Hammarby Allé 41, 12030 Stockholm)
- Skanstulls Vandrarhem (Ringvägen 135, 116 61 Stockholm Södermalm)
- STF Af Chapman (Sailing ship, Stockholm City/Skeppsholmen)
- Stockholm Hostel (Alströmergatan 15, 11247 Stockholm Kungsholmen)
- Zinkensdamm Hotel & Hostel (Zinkens Väg 20, 11741 Stockholm Södermalm)